Tips – Packing
Once your moving date has been confirmed you can look forward to moving into your new home. However, you are unlikely to be so enthusiastic about packing. Here are some tips for perfect packing.
- Before you start, make sure you have the correct packing materials, bubble wrap, paper, bin bags, marker pens & boxes of various sizes.
- Start early. Packing will almost certainly take longer than you anticipated.
- Begin at the top of the house & move downwards. If you have an attic, it’s a good idea to sort this out first. You will probably discover several things you didn’t realise you owned.
- Use moving house as an opportunity to sort out your possessions. Throw away your rubbish & separate any items that can be given to friends or charity shops.
- Pack one room at a time, clearly labelling each box with details of its contents & the room to which it belongs.
- Clearly label any boxes that contain breakables.
- Wrap items individually & place in a box that has been lined with bubble wrap. Any fragile items should be wrapped in bubble wrap, every day items should be wrap in clean paper.
- It May sound obvious but pack heavier items on the bottom of the box & lighter items on top. Plates etc should be packed on their sides.
- Ask the removers to put all boxes in the rooms as required. This will save time unpacking.
- Pack important documents such as birth & marriage certificates, passports etc in a safe place.
- Tie up electrical cords to prevent them from getting tangled & mark wires for reconnecting. Use rubber bands or bag ties to secure the cords.